[ X ]
What did you replace Sleipnir's Stuff with, if anything?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daz
Level: 144

Position: Moderator
Kel: 146  [ Donate ]

Online Status: Offline
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: What did you replace Sleipnir's Stuff with, if anything? Reply with quote

I don't know if it's just a sign of way the internet has utterly penetrated everyone's lives recently and it's dragged all the nutters online or what's caused it but it seems all forums are full of whining (oh the irony) and fighting for the sake of it and they don't seem to be very well moderated. I'm getting a bit fed up of not being able to have a conversation about anything on a forum without someone kicking off over something really innocuous and then other people piling in with no interest in the original topic. The off topic sections of any forums are a complete disaster and even sections about specific things can get incendiary very easily.

Sleip's was always friendly and was thoroughly but sensibly moderated - are there still forums like that which are pretty active or are those mutually exclusive concepts?

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k141/DazJW/CNC/icfraadbanner.jpg
Nemo Mentisson
Level: 78

Position: Registered User
Kel: 297  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:45 pm  Reply with quote

The forums are full of whining and fighting? It never seemed that way to me, but I suppose if it seems that way to you, you are a moderator yourself, after all =P

I dunno if Sleipnir even still comes here. I think I vaguely remember him posting something a while ago, but...

View user's profile Find all posts by Nemo Mentisson Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Sleipnir
Level: 150

Position: Administrator
Kel: 3640  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:30 am  Reply with quote

I'm still here, I just don't have much to say most of the time.

I'd say that it is a sign of the times. Many (likely, most) people no longer stray more than one or two clicks beyond their favorite monolithic content portal (facebook, reddit, wikipedia, etc), which has reduced the need for smaller general purpose forums.

I suspect that the whinging and nutters due to every man and his dog use the internet as part of their daily lives (compared to 10 years ago, where it was mainly the technically semi-literate). People invest a lot of time and emotion into their online activities so it naturally becomes 'serious business', on top of the unavoidable minority of assholes who like to create trouble.

For me, SS has largely been replaced with things IRL - who has the time these days to spend a lot of time being active in online communities? News feeds are a good way to stay on top of current events in the various circles i'm interested in, without the bullshit associated with forums, and Reddit fills the gaps that are left.
View user's profile Find all posts by Sleipnir Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Medalmonkey
Level: 129

Kel: 12  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:54 pm  Reply with quote

Sleipnir wrote (View Post):
Many (likely, most) people no longer stray more than one or two clicks beyond their favorite monolithic content portal (facebook, reddit, wikipedia, etc), which has reduced the need for smaller general purpose forums.
Perfectly said right here. Its was right around the time Myspace came out that a lot of people left, correct??, 2004 - 2005ish? Shifty
Zed
Zed Zombie
Level: 131

Position: Moderator
Kel: 737  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:06 am  Reply with quote

Funny that I spot this thread just now... Wish I had seen it sooner.

Either way, I didn't replace Sleip's stuff with anything, really. At first real life took over. I had far less time for this place and my geeky internet hobbies because of college. After that I got a job and things got even worse.

Hm. Is Pussky still around? I don't think I've seen him on msn in a while...
View user's profile Find all posts by Zed Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Suiseiseki
Carnivean
Level: 119

Kel: 216  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:46 am  Reply with quote

I replaced it with a few steam group chats, I suppose. I'm honestly not active on any communities outside of twitch.tv now.
Rattuskid
Mostly Harmless
Level: 150

Position: Supermod
Kel: 380  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:19 am  Reply with quote

The hurpdurp community of furry keep me away. FA mostly...
CoNiGMa
I'm not crazy...I'm eccentric!
Level: 113

Kel: 132  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

I don't think anything can really "replace" Sleipnir's Stuff. I wish this place could be returned to it's glory days, but alas, it's become mostly a place of nostalgia. I usually frequent Reddit and Facebook nowadays though if I'm online that is.

http://img136.exs.cx/img136/8490/slimsigbluefka1gl.gif
View user's profile Find all posts by CoNiGMa Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1