[ X ]
Bad Experiences with Anti-Virus Softwares
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prince Blueblood
Level: 53

Position: Registered User
Kel: 47  [ Donate ]

Online Status: Offline
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Bad Experiences with Anti-Virus Softwares Reply with quote

now, just less than 10 minutes ago, while playing OpenRA, suddenly my window closed and AVG give me a warning about "Malicious Activities" from OpenRA.exe

Note, this is the third time happened in my laptop, and even when the second time I report OpenRA as non malicious exception last week, this time they actually have the decency to interrupt and close my connection while playing online MP. *INSERT THE MOST PROFANE SWEARWORDS*.

So... want to get rid of AVG, but then, what antivirus that you reccomend? that doesn't stupidly assume every free online games as potential threat?

NB:
Please don't said Norman, or Avira, have even worse experiences with those two

My Ping might be Red... blame distance and my shitty connection due to which country I lived in...
View user's profile Find all posts by Prince Blueblood Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number
Speedy
Level: 56

Kel: 61  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:12 am  Reply with quote

Personally, I'd like to throw out Eset NOD32 Antivirus. I've been using it myself for years, and have had little to no problems.

It's in fact very gamer-focused, as it has a 'Gamer Mode', in which notifications are turned off and it starts to run very passively, only keeping an eye on incoming data.

Minor problem is that NOD32 is, obviously, not free. You can try it for a month, though. Wink

Alternatively, Kaspersky. I haven't used it myself, but a bunch of my friends are very satisfied with it.

An open source solution would be ClamWin. I have used it for awhile on my school computer, and it's a low-resource antivirus.. but it doesn't seem to have active protection, and is basically only scanning when you tell it to. I also haven't used it in years, so who knows, it might've changed.

As a final note.. AVOID NORTON ANTIVIRUS AND PANDA ANTIVIRUS! Norton basically EATS ALL YOUR RESOURCES, regardless of how much you have, making it impossible to play ANYTHING... and Panda basically is ONE BIG MCHUGE VIRUS, REFUSING TO BE UNINSTALLED AND CRASHING YOUR PC WHEN IT FAILS AN UPDATE which it does 99 out of 100 times, because it fails updating WHEN THERE IS NO UPDATE.

I hope this helps you out, man.. I'd suggest you just test NOD32 for a month, and if you're not satisfied, uninstall it and find another. If you ARE satisfied, maybe you'll want to actually buy it.

There are ofcourse less than legal ways to get it, but I strongly suggest you don't.. One of my.. less smart friends thought it would be a good idea to download a hack for NOD32, so it would run forever without a proper license. Turned out he downloaded a virus that completely disabled NOD32 but had it pretend to run fine, even 'updated' and pretended to scan, finding some results. (Usually tracking cookies.) Except then his computer starting slowing down and files changed into 0 bit files and it was a big mchuge mess which I fixed by running NOD32 off of a LiveCD. XD.. Ah, good times.

Prince Blueblood
Level: 53

Kel: 47  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:59 pm  Reply with quote

Speedy wrote (View Post):
Personally, I'd like to throw out Eset NOD32 Antivirus. I've been using it myself for years, and have had little to no problems.

It's in fact very gamer-focused, as it has a 'Gamer Mode', in which notifications are turned off and it starts to run very passively, only keeping an eye on incoming data.

Minor problem is that NOD32 is, obviously, not free. You can try it for a month, though. Wink

Alternatively, Kaspersky. I haven't used it myself, but a bunch of my friends are very satisfied with it.

An open source solution would be ClamWin. I have used it for awhile on my school computer, and it's a low-resource antivirus.. but it doesn't seem to have active protection, and is basically only scanning when you tell it to. I also haven't used it in years, so who knows, it might've changed.

As a final note.. AVOID NORTON ANTIVIRUS AND PANDA ANTIVIRUS! Norton basically EATS ALL YOUR RESOURCES, regardless of how much you have, making it impossible to play ANYTHING... and Panda basically is ONE BIG MCHUGE VIRUS, REFUSING TO BE UNINSTALLED AND CRASHING YOUR PC WHEN IT FAILS AN UPDATE which it does 99 out of 100 times, because it fails updating WHEN THERE IS NO UPDATE.

I hope this helps you out, man.. I'd suggest you just test NOD32 for a month, and if you're not satisfied, uninstall it and find another. If you ARE satisfied, maybe you'll want to actually buy it.

There are ofcourse less than legal ways to get it, but I strongly suggest you don't.. One of my.. less smart friends thought it would be a good idea to download a hack for NOD32, so it would run forever without a proper license. Turned out he downloaded a virus that completely disabled NOD32 but had it pretend to run fine, even 'updated' and pretended to scan, finding some results. (Usually tracking cookies.) Except then his computer starting slowing down and files changed into 0 bit files and it was a big mchuge mess which I fixed by running NOD32 off of a LiveCD. XD.. Ah, good times.

Ah thank you very much, NOD32 is really what I need (no problem with it being a paid version, restaurant is running well Grin )

My Ping might be Red... blame distance and my shitty connection due to which country I lived in...
View user's profile Find all posts by Prince Blueblood Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number
Speedy
Level: 56

Kel: 61  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:23 am  Reply with quote

Well, good to hear my advice helped. Smile
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1