Adding Unit Sounds
How do I do this?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starkiller87
Level: 78

Position: Registered User
Kel: 4  [ Donate ]

Online Status: Offline
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Adding Unit Sounds Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I've been adding new units to RA2/YR for years now but I've never done this part before.
The audio files I have to add were extracted from RA3.

How do I add them?
I've read a few posts but I can't find a definitive step by step guide.

Thanks Confused
View user's profile Find all posts by Starkiller87 Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number
Prodigal Providence
Level: 46

Kel: 2  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding Unit Sounds Reply with quote

Starkiller87 wrote (View Post):
Hi guys,

I've been adding new units to RA2/YR for years now but I've never done this part before.
The audio files I have to add were extracted from RA3.

How do I add them?
I've read a few posts but I can't find a definitive step by step guide.

Thanks Confused

Sorry if this was a month-long reply. Well, registering sounds in RA2 is quite easy -- but you need to make sure of things.

1. Keep ready your chosen sound files. Listen to them one by one -- if it's for attack, select or move commands. It's really awkward hearing a select voice in a attack command, and so on.

Also, I suggest naming them to the unit of your choice, like "SickleSelect", "SickleMoveCommand", and "SickleMove".

2. Have audio.bag and audio.idx files ready. You'll need XCC Mixer's Sound Editor to put in the sounds, hence, they'll never work.

3. Open sound.ini or soundmd.ini, depending on which game you're in. There, register your sounds in the same manner I stated above in no.1.

Somehow you'll see this:
[DemoTruckAttackCommand]
Sounds= $vdemata $vdematb $vdematc $vdematd $vdemate
Control= random
Volume=85

Register the names of your specified soundfiles there in "Sounds". The $ sign is needed for the engine to know that it's a voice command.

Not only that, specify the same attack, move and select commands to that long-running list after the start of the .ini file.

And it looks like this:
578=ArnoldAttackCommand
579=ArnoldFear
580=ArnoldPsyResist
581=ArnoldDie
582=BattleFortressSelect
583=BattleFortressMove
584=BattleFortressAttackCommand
585=BoomerSelect
586=BoomerMove
587=BoomerAttackLandCommand
588=BoomerAttackWaterCommand
589=BorisSelect
590=BorisMove
591=BorisAttackCommand
592=BorisAirstrikeVoice
593=BorisFear
594=BorisCreated
595=BorisDie

Look for the end of the list, then, whatever is the last number, just add one, equals, then the name of the entity.

4. Open rules.ini or rulesmd.ini, the file that powers the game.
You've said that you've added units a very long time ago, so I have no need in enumerating it. If you know the part in a unit's entity, the "voices" part, I guess you know what to add.

Thanks as well~ just sharing what I do in modding.
View user's profile Find all posts by Prodigal Providence Send private message ICQ Number
umairazfar
Level: 52

Kel: 105  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:14 am  Reply with quote

maybe this might help

https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/Adding-Sounds
View user's profile Find all posts by umairazfar Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number