[ X ]
Novel i'm working on
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ophiuchus
Level: 105

Position: Registered User
Kel: 439  [ Donate ]

Online Status: Offline
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Novel i'm working on Reply with quote

The paragraphs are double-spaced for review purposes only.
It appears the names of the Androids also haven't come out on this forum. o.O
This is a work inspired by a dream I had. This isn't the full chapter one, but it's as far as i've written at the moment. I'd just like to see if it's getting too monotonous or if anything else needs explaining before I carry on my merry way.
This IS simply an introduction, the main story doesn't kick off for a while yet.
I also need to put in a pronounciation key for three names.

Ενα (Pronounced Ena/ aena)
Δύο (Pronounced Tueir/ Tu-Ah/ thee-o)
Τρια (Pronounced TrEa/ Triia/ tree-a)

I appreciate anyone who reads it in full, because it's somewhere around the 2500 word mark.

Chapter 1: Necessity

Technology. Necessity or convenience? Regardless of their origins, many inventions caused mankind to become lazy, eventually leading to a drastic population decrease caused by the unhealthy living that technology had allowed to come to be.

Despite technology causing the problem, it was believed to be the only answer. The population decline was so severe that many countries threatened to collapse, essential jobs having no one to perform them. In desperation, rudimentary constructs, Androids were rushed into production solely to fill gaps in society required to keep the countries running.

Although technology had solved the problem it had initially started temporarily, it did not solve the issues caused by unhealthy lifestyles, and the diminished life expectancy, and the problems continued, with jobs requiring more skill and expertise in danger of being forgotten... Once again, technology followed necessity, with sophisticated models of the Androids being produced for many tasks...

Eager eyes looked up from a large, flat screen displaying the above text boldly. Another typical field trip for a public school to the museum of technology. The room usually held many interested people of all ages, but today it was in the hands of a fourth grade class.
A woman stood before the screen, obstructing view with scruffy, poorly kept hair - it's brunette length flowing in the lightly air conditioned environment, like fine tendrils of thread.

Ruby lips on ivory skin asked the question, "Can any of you tell me, how Androids helped fix the population crisis?" she asked. The voice was gentle, surprising for one with such an uncut appearance.

Uncertain looks shot from one student to another. They were by no means the top school in the districts, and few of them bothered to pay attention during a normal class. Eventually, a hand snaked into the air with an uncertainty that made all feel uneasy. "We use similar parts in people?" a young boy replied.

The teacher nodded in agreement, a smile showing ever so slightly coffee stained teeth. "That's almost right, well done!" she went on with the explanation, "The technology used in the advanced androids simulates a LOT of what your body does, and eventually, one smart man found a way to make the two of us compatible. People with ill-health can now get a helping hand from technology, for nearly any problem." This was only a half-truth. Although the Android parts had been re-purposed for use in people, the parts could do nothing against diabetes and obesity. Those problems were still pretty rampant, but the government had been mulling over possible solutions for some time - in the meantime, supplementing sickly people with the mechanical parts was all they could do.

The teacher continued to speak, but one student was far from interested. His green eyes glowed, looking up at the face of a machine. A screen labelled it. "Model 1C Android". This was one of the first Androids that had been created, and sadly, nearly all of its kind had stopped functioning due to their botched construction, working themselves to death in the menial jobs. The boy's head tilted, examining the construct. It's body was sleek, in a dull metallic hue similar to that of Bronze, except for a singular grey metal strip on the unit's head, descending vertically. Two sensors were placed vaguely where a person's eyes would be. Primitive valves that vaguely resembled musculature adorned the arms and legs, almost as an elegant suit of armour. Clearly visible in the rear of the head, leading to somewhere on the back was a plastic coated wire, around three inches in diameter. This part was known as a conductor cable, used for carrying extra power to the many features housed in the head that required them. The first androids created did not look like people at all, beyond the basic shape of limbs. It wasn't required at the time. However, as time had gone on, although the appearance had become streamlined, manufacturers still kept Androids looking entirely artificial, even in models that had been given actual eyes, ears and noses. Skin and eyes on the Androids never matched those on humans. There were numerous reasons, none of which were ever discussed in great detail.

"Brad! Pay attention!" The teacher yelled, snapping the boy back into reality. His attention returned to the class, who had moved to another
exhibit. This one showed an artificial lung. It's texture didn't look like that of an organic one, but it did mimic the movements perfectly. The screen on the exhibit displayed images of the inner workings of the lung, showing extreme closeups of how it functioned.

"Scientists are always working on new ways to make the implants look and feel more realistic, but at the moment, there are no such pieces open to the public." the teacher said.

That was far from the truth. Within the same city, in a towering housing block of a light grey stone, a professor of Android technologies had converted his living space into a laboratory of sorts, wires and screens littered wall, ceiling and floor regardless, papers and computers showed various readings and research, and part-constructed experiments left undone made moving around extremely difficult, made even harder by the poor lighting. Staying inside for so long, the good professor had grown accustomed to using artificial lights to the point where his eyes could take very little brightness, and now most of his surroundings were lit only by the monitors around them. He had been slaving away for many years now, in an attempt to create what he called, the perfect Android. Indistinguishable from a human in any way, even with a randomised lifespan. He had finally had a breakthrough, only the year before. There were two things that made this possible... Firstly, synthesised skin for patients with skin cancers had been made identical to the real thing before that, and the second was the positronic brain.

Most Androids, although able to perform jobs, did not have advanced capabilities to observe the world around them, adapt, learn, and pick up on how people speak. His creation allowed far greater simulation of Human behaviour, and marrying the two together on an extremely complex frame allowed for him to have finally created his life's work. This was fortunate, as he was aged Sixty-seven, which was as old as many reached in the time.

Now that he had created and tested his project, he had produced three for a specific purpose.
As Androids had filled a lot of important roles of society, that had caused a surplus of unemployed people once the population numbers had stabilised. As a result, a lot of females had begun to conduct the illegal activity of prostitution.

These three Androids, he hoped, would be able to fill that role. It wasn't that he wanted those people to have no money, he saw it as a mission of mercy. Many people end up with infections, injuries, or death through illegal activities. He hated that people suffered, and hoped that the Androids, with their higher durability, would eliminate the suffering of those women.

He had given them names, based on greek numbers.
The first was Ενα. She was designed to look like a woman in her early to mid 20's, with a full and curvy figure, fair skin and a deep blonde tone to her hair, which fell halfway down her back. Her eyes were a sea blue, tinted ever so slightly green. She stood at 5' 8.
His second of the trinity was Δύο. She looked no older than 18, with a petite figure. Her skin was a light tan, similar to those in European countries, and her hair was a midnight black and cut as a short bob, with hazel eyes so deep a person could lose themselves in them. Her height was close to her sister, being 5' 6.
Τρια was the third and final Android created for the sordid role. She looked only marginally younger than Δύο, but her form gave an illusion of someone under the age of 18, as she was nearly flat-chested. Her skin was light, and freckles lightly spotted her shoulders. Her hair curled lightly, with gentle waves in varied tones of ginger, her eyes a green so dark that it were nearer brown.

The creation of each one was indeed a personal matter, as each was anatomically correct, and each was in its own right unique.
A wave of satisfaction drenched the old man, as he activated the three together for the first time, springing them to life.

Hurriedly, the laboratory was cleared up, organised, and tidied. Most of it was re-located into a single room, leaving a large living space free from obstruction.
With the project complete, the professor had no need for most of his equipment, and he needed space to show his creations and research to other minds.

Three people had been called to his presence. Firstly, an old, balding man by the name of Piere Cercic - the head of the institute that approved Android models for public use. Next was Ilina Browns, a sickly-looking pale man who hailed from Europe and represented the committee for research and development of technologies, who was present to observe a working positronic brain in action.
The third and final person was the chief of police, a rather obese man with dark skin and a moustache that would often seem to ensnare his lunch. He was known as Chief Delacey, and few people got on his good side to learn his first name.

Ilina was the first to arrive. The Professor opened the door, his back hunched from his years of leaning down, working on his projects. A good look over Ilina showed someone of perfect posture, cleanly-shaven and well washed. He wore a light grey suit with a burgundy tie in a black shirt. "Ah, Mister Browns.." the professor said, moving his hand in the direction of a comfortable looking leather sofa, Do please make yourself feel comfortable."
Ilina entered, looking around. "Where is the positronic brain, professor?"
A nod came from the professor, as his hands raised to his mouth in a point. "Ah, yes, in due time, in due time. The brains will soon be revealed, but you must wait, some moments more." As he began to close the door, a foot blocked it. A heavy, black boot. Pushing the door forcefully, Chief Delacey strolled in, helping himself to a seat on the sofa. "This had better be important. My time is VERY important." a stain akin to grease was present down the front of his uniform, to which Ilina was quite uneasy. He was used to hygienic laboratory conditions.
"Indeed the matters I choose to concern you with are important enough to warrant your presence." The door closed, waiting for Piere to arrive. In the short time they were waiting, the Chief was given a glass of scotch, and Browns agreed reluctantly to a black coffee.
Letting in his third guest, Piere apologised. He looked hurried, his suit was scruffy as if he had gotten ready in a rush, or in the dark. "My apologies Professor. The transport through this part of town is dreadful."

It wasn't actually that transport was bad, it's more that a large number of people and androids commuted in that part of the town, causing heavy congestion.
"You are not that late, Mister Cercic. We may now begin." The professor said, and with a clap of his hand, the three Androids came out from a back room. "I have called all three of you here for similar purposes, revolving around these three." The professor said, raising a hand in the direction of what were seemingly very attractive women. "These are artificial constructs. The result of many years of research.. Perfect Androids, capable of whatever task we require."
Chief Delacey scoffed, "What does the police department care about some new toy?"
with a tut, the Professor responded. "To put it simply, they can be used for ANY purpose. And I intend for these to help the community in a line of work with which I know you have had troubles recently."
Dubious, Piere questioned. "These look nothing like any Android that I have ever seen. You will forgive me if I do not believe this?"
"The research is available if you so request." The professor said, producing three small touchscreen devices with information on the androids and their construction, handing them to his guests. "Their construction was all above board, and conforms to the requirements for any mechanical."
An objection arose from Ilina. "I would like to know how you managed to... obtain the resources to add skin to these. You know the regulations on how much synthetic skin can be used for simple research purposes." he said.
"Of course." the professor replied. "The initial sample was merely a few inches square for each of them, each varied by their pigmentation. With the application of specially designed Nanomachines, over the course of several weeks, the entire skin was grown onto the frame."
"Remarkable work.." Piere kept his eyes on the data pad as he spoke, "Do any nanomachines remain in their system?"
"So many questions.. so little time to answer!" the professor said, "Nanomachines remain in their bodies. As the synthetic skin can cut and bruise as real skin does, the nanomachines can repair any such damage. In fact, this includes damage to their frame..."
Ever the wonderful conversationalist, Chief Delacey was abrupt. "So you want to set robot hookers loose out there? The hell does that solve the problem?"
The professor looked to the chief, expecting such narrow mindedness. "Their purpose is not to stop prostitution. Their purpose is to stop women being put at risk."
Piere nodded, checking through the file. "They seem to meet all of the requirements.. It would be nice to observe them. Your file claims they are undetectable from humans."
"The research deems it possible." Ilina said, "But we've yet to create a single stable prototype. I too would like to interact with these three."
The professor, saying no more, motioned the three androids closer, into the better lighting of the sofa area.
There was a stunned gasp from all three men at the accuracy and beauty of the androids.
Ilina spoke first, "Greetings. What are your designations?"
Ενα raised an eyebrow, looking to her sisters with a smirk, before responding. "If you want our names.. I'm Ενα." Her voice was natural, and slightly deep. It had no sign of being artificial, no tone of digital sequencing, which most Androids in public service had.

Gen. Nobody
Level: 92

Position: Registered User
Kel: 192  [ Donate ]

Online Status: Offline
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:12 am  Reply with quote

nice thingy
View user's profile Find all posts by Gen. Nobody Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger ICQ Number
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1