[ X ]
Request for an additonal subforum.
only constructive + or - comments please.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Commander_HK47
Level: 92

Position: Registered User
Kel: 46  [ Donate ]

Online Status: Offline
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Request for an additonal subforum. Reply with quote

To:Sleipnir

I find myself drawn to this place(SSF)because of over all type of member and general upkeep of the site. Equally as "cool" are there ideas and interest expressed in modeling that some of the members here have. However i find it hard to share ideas, suggestions, and or questions that i might have about using and getting the most out of the applications that we use to creat these models weth it be Gmax, 3dsmax, ect... I know there are guides and other information that can be looked up else where on the internet. But something about having a place at SSF would make it diferernt some how, but in a most positive way.

So in saying that, i speaking for myself, but hopefully in addition by the backing of other members as well. That it would be nice to have a subforum for 3d modeling applications, allowing for general to advance convorsations or guides to take place without fear of cluttering up other SSF subforums.

Im shure there are posible downfalls to this request, but i can't think of any at the moment that would be such dastardly outcomes that it would faily rem the rights not to adhere to this request on some level.

Im shure however this topic might have come up at lest once before and might have been decided it was not needed at that time.
If it hasn't been requested / discussed i feel that this would be a good time to review this request and compaire it to the value it could and would present to the SSF 3d artest community in large. Thus helping the growth of this site, and its overall member enjoyment / interactivity.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, and i hope that a positive resolve for this matter can be reached.

I recently used there trial promo and decided to continue with 2 game out at a time and have played tons of games that where hard to find in my area for the XBOX and PS2 plus lots of new tittles for all the new gen consoles too!.

So if you new to Gamefly and want to give it a try use this referal link below to help me earn a Nintendo Wii,
Thanks much!
http://friends.GameFly.com/r/93f9883e32d6102a919d
View user's profile Find all posts by Commander_HK47 Send private message MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Priest
Coming Back At You Like Last Night's Pizza
Level: 112

Position: Moderator
Kel: 616  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:06 am  Reply with quote

Theoretically it falls under a genre of modding so to speak (not entirely) and the "Other games" subforum does cover it to a general degree. The problem that you'll encounter is that subforums / forums have to be popular to an extent to stay open. I don't know how many here do that kind of stuff and would use it, but that's not to say that people wouldn't, i'm just not in the know the Sleipnir's Stuff 3D modelling community...

We originally had a BFME editing forum, but virtually no-one posted in it, so it got closed down simply because it wasn't used. I'm 90% sure (but i'm not Sleip) that EAW is heading that way as well.

Good petetion though

~J'Sł'R
View user's profile Find all posts by Priest Send private message MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Commander_HK47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:26 am  Reply with quote

I pled my case, and will continue to be optimistic untill told by Sleipnirs other wise.

Although i dont like the information that you bring up, its still valid and thus should be used in the statictical portion of the review of the request that was made.... i.e. this would be your(other members) que to speak up if you support this request or not.

So for thoghs of you that have had this idea come across your minds Just dont say yes, or no, but give a reasson that supports your argument. Wether its positive or nagative does not matter so long as its constructive.

Notice:
By subforums i ment a subforum of SSF, so it would make it a new forum section and not a subforum of any exsiting forum. I aplogize for the confusion on my behalf.

**eidited***
one to many other wise in this statment Razz

I recently used there trial promo and decided to continue with 2 game out at a time and have played tons of games that where hard to find in my area for the XBOX and PS2 plus lots of new tittles for all the new gen consoles too!.

So if you new to Gamefly and want to give it a try use this referal link below to help me earn a Nintendo Wii,
Thanks much!
View user's profile Find all posts by Commander_HK47 Send private message MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Sleipnir
Level: 150

Position: Administrator
Kel: 3645  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:39 am  Reply with quote

I would be inclined to say that that kind of thing would fall in the artwork forum, even though it's more of a technical nature (creating art) as opposed to displaying already created art...

Like Josh said, I doubt enough people would use the forum to make it viable, but if you make a thread (in say Artwork, or Modding:Other Games) and enough people participate for it to become viable as its own subforum, I'll think about it.

How's that sound?
View user's profile Find all posts by Sleipnir Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Zenas
Wut? Dead? NOES!
Level: 118

Kel: 313  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:01 am  Reply with quote

this pretty much is artwork imo.
making a 3d model just for the hobby or similiar, is artwork. just like a drawn image is.

and since this is coming up a bit, i guesse i might post up some renders of what i have been working on a while back. wich has more or less been on hold for some time now. Razz

"As each of these thoughts is kept to itself, fate begins to move."
"With every second, the war draws nearer."
.zest
Level: 118

Position: Moderator
Kel: 313  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up for us, Zenas Rolling Eyes
Commander_HK47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

The intent of this, was not to reqest a "second show case" style thread. That is to say; the end result of what we create, but rather a place where we could talk about and clearlly express ideas and methods of using the modeling applicionts more effectively aposed to showing off ones visual endwork.

Ideally much like in non C-GFX aspect of art, and how one would learn how to draw the illistration and thus help them become better at that craft would be the end goal.

However if the Art forum doubles as a place to talk about these type of questions. Then i guess that is where it will be discussed. The general impression that i had recived from that forum though, was that it was only ment as a "show case" stlye thread and not really ment for the means of better utilization of the applications that we use. I haven't seen much positive indication of that forum being the place to bring that sort-of topic up, i could have overlooked them though...

Thanks much!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1