[ X ]
Reddit Postmortem
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisf
Level: 79

Position: Moderator
Kel: 261  [ Donate ]

Online Status: Offline
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reddit Postmortem Reply with quote

http://blogs.ijw.co.nz/chris/index.php/2010/10/openra-reddit-postmortem/
View user's profile Find all posts by chrisf Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number
Iran
Level: 78

Position: Registered User
Kel: 104  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:24 am  Reply with quote

Well, on the other hand we did get a lot of people on board. But yeah, having the website, installer and game itself state that it's in alpha would help a lot. As I guess quite a few people got a negative impression of this engine, especially if they didn't know that it is in the state of an alpha version at the moment.
View user's profile Find all posts by Iran Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number
Aidanc
Level: 76

Kel: 11  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:19 pm  Reply with quote

I agree with Iran and as I stated on twitter I think the key is tapping into your community. You're a small team why not open the flood gates to the community, put frameworks in place to allow them to contribute, report bugs, fix bugs, do PR etc.
View user's profile Find all posts by Aidanc Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number
Iran

Kel: 104  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:23 pm  Reply with quote

Reporting bugs could be done with the bug tracker that was taken down a few days ago and will be up again soon. Fixing bugs could be done with the bug tracker too, plus via Github.
View user's profile Find all posts by Iran Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number
beedee

Kel: 95  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:43 pm  Reply with quote

Aidanc wrote (View Post):
I agree with Iran and as I stated on twitter I think the key is tapping into your community. You're a small team why not open the flood gates to the community, put frameworks in place to allow them to contribute, report bugs, fix bugs, do PR etc.

3-4 days ago we had basically just the dev team playing this. The reddit front page was completely out of the blue when we weren't exactly ready for it and were already having hosting issues.

The reason we haven't "opened the floodgates" to the community is that it is going to require someone to dedicate themselves to maintaining these community links and we've been completely swamped over the last few days. I've taken control of the twitter account and we all read the forums so we are doing as much as we can.

If you read the post-mortem blog post, we've had a lot of new issues emerge and our priority is on fixing those.
View user's profile Find all posts by beedee Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
epice
Level: 69

Kel: 217  [ Donate ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:48 am  Reply with quote

Always do opposite of what reddit says, remember this!